BIOME Hot Topics
BIOME as Resource of the Month
BIOME was chosen to be shown as a key Resource of the Month by Information Services, University of Nottingham. Introduced in January 2005 the 'Resource of the Month' programme promotes and publicises key electronic resources to target audiences in the academic and student community at the University of Nottingham.
BIOME staff have been busy, among other things, attending relevant events held for the health and life sciences community:
- BIOME session at RSC Using ILT in Biology event, Derby College. Organised by the Regional Support Centre East Midlands  the event helped to demonstrate how to incorporate ILT into learning programmes for biology and related subjects. Laurian Williamson, BIOME Content Coordinator demonstrated how BIOME could be used.
- Exhibition and demonstration at E-learning in health and social care  conference at NEWI by Rob Abbott, BIOME Service Officer. North East Wales Institute hosted an exciting one-day conference exploring the use of e-learning in health and social care, organised by a group of nurse lecturers working at NEWI.
- Jenny Hall attended the launch of the NLH Skin Conditions Specialist Library  on 8 March 2005.
- BIOME Service Officer, Rob Abbott gave a Seminar at this year's Royal College of Nursing Congress  on 25 April 2005. In a 45-minute presentation, Rob introduced NMAP, the gateway to nursing, midwifery and allied health.
Changes to the Virtual Training Suite
The RDN's Virtual Training Suite  is a collection of free, interactive online tutorials, designed to teach Internet information skills to the Higher and Further Education communities in the UK. Aimed at lecturers, students, teachers and researchers, the tutorials provide training for those who want to discover what the Internet can offer in their subject area.
The BIOME team has authored seven of these tutorials and as part of the VTS's commitment to providing high-quality advice these tutorials are regularly updated. The following tutorials have undergone a complete link-check:
- Internet Medic
- Internet for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting
- Internet for Allied Health
- Internet Vet
- Internet BioResearcher
- Internet for Nature
- Internet for Agriculture, Food and Forestry
The ways in which the Internet supports work in the health and life sciences is ever changing, and BIOME aims to reflect new trends as they emerge in its virtual training tutorials. Librarians, lecturers, and students can therefore rely on this free Internet training service in the knowledge that members of the BIOME team are carefully updating it.
Changes at BIOME
Donald Mackay, BIOME Service Manager, left in March 2004 to take up a new post as Head of Healthcare Libraries at the University of Oxford. Many thanks to Donald for the commitment and hard work he put into running the Service and we wish him well in his new job.
- BIOME Hot Topics http://biome.ac.uk/hot_topics/
- Regional Support Centre East Midlands http://www.rsc-east-midlands.ac.uk/
- E-learning in health and social care http://www.newi.ac.uk/elearninghealth/
- NLH Skin Conditions Specialist Library http://libraries.nelh.nhs.uk/skin/
- Royal College of Nursing Congress 2005 http://www.rcn.org.uk/news/congress2005/
- Virtual Training Suite http://www.vts.rdn.ac.uk/