Charts tracking usage of 'big data'
Interactive charts on this page show usage of the term 'big data' in Ariadne articles, tracking usage from 1996 (when publication started) to present (as of most recently published issue).
See our charts FAQ for more explanations of data charts presented here and elsewhere on our site.
Timeline of references to 'big data'
This data chart includes two timelines:
- 'articles' timeline tracks the number of articles that mention 'big data' (per date)
- 'total usage' timeline tracks all references throughout articles to 'big data' (per date)
Relative recency of references to 'big data'
This data chart highlights bands of recency:
- numbers of articles referring to 'big data' recently (within previous year), mid-term (between one and three years), and longer-term (older than three years)
- total usage of 'big data' recently (within previous year), mid-term (between one and three years), and longer-term (older than three years)
Top 10: authors most frequently referring to 'big data'
This chart shows up to 10 authors most frequently using this term 'big data'.
- select author name label (near bottom of each column) to see an overview of all articles by author referring to 'big data'
- the default view of articles and total usage shows how these authors compare overall
- de-select the 'articles' label to hide this data set and focus on how these authors compare by total usage of 'big data'
- de-select the ''total usage' label to hide this data set to focus on how these authors compare by total numbers of articles referring to 'big data'
Long tail: all authors referring to 'big data'
This data chart shows all authors referring to 'big data', ordered by each author's number of articles mentioning this term versus total usage of this term:
- points in red plot data related to the top 10 authors most frequently referring to 'big data'
- points in blue plot the (more or less) long tail of other authors also referring to 'big data'
- vertical axis marks the number of articles by an author referring to 'big data'
- horizontal axis marks an author's total usage of term 'big data'
Note that darker points in this chart can indicate overlaps where several authors have written the same numbers of articles with the same total usage of this term 'big data'.
Complete list of authors discussing 'big data'
Here is a list of all authors referring to 'big data', ordered by total usage of this term.
- numbers in parentheses indicate each author's relative distribution in the chart above (total usage / number of articles).
- author names provide links to overviews of articles by each author discussing 'big data'
marieke guy (51/2), dorothea salo (5/1), martin white (3/2), ian brown (2/1), francesca simon millar (2/1), alex ball (2/1), mona hess (2/1), sally macdonald (2/1), stuart robson (2/1), graeme were (2/1), ute rusnak (1/1), milena dobreva (1/1), matthew brack (1/1)