Charts tracking usage of 'born digital'
Interactive charts on this page show usage of the term 'born digital' in Ariadne articles, tracking usage from 1996 (when publication started) to present (as of most recently published issue).
See our charts FAQ for more explanations of data charts presented here and elsewhere on our site.
Timeline of references to 'born digital'
This data chart includes two timelines:
- 'articles' timeline tracks the number of articles that mention 'born digital' (per date)
- 'total usage' timeline tracks all references throughout articles to 'born digital' (per date)
Relative recency of references to 'born digital'
This data chart highlights bands of recency:
- numbers of articles referring to 'born digital' recently (within previous year), mid-term (between one and three years), and longer-term (older than three years)
- total usage of 'born digital' recently (within previous year), mid-term (between one and three years), and longer-term (older than three years)
Top 10: authors most frequently referring to 'born digital'
This chart shows up to 10 authors most frequently using this term 'born digital'.
- select author name label (near bottom of each column) to see an overview of all articles by author referring to 'born digital'
- the default view of articles and total usage shows how these authors compare overall
- de-select the 'articles' label to hide this data set and focus on how these authors compare by total usage of 'born digital'
- de-select the ''total usage' label to hide this data set to focus on how these authors compare by total numbers of articles referring to 'born digital'
Long tail: all authors referring to 'born digital'
This data chart shows all authors referring to 'born digital', ordered by each author's number of articles mentioning this term versus total usage of this term:
- points in red plot data related to the top 10 authors most frequently referring to 'born digital'
- points in blue plot the (more or less) long tail of other authors also referring to 'born digital'
- vertical axis marks the number of articles by an author referring to 'born digital'
- horizontal axis marks an author's total usage of term 'born digital'
Note that darker points in this chart can indicate overlaps where several authors have written the same numbers of articles with the same total usage of this term 'born digital'.
Complete list of authors discussing 'born digital'
Here is a list of all authors referring to 'born digital', ordered by total usage of this term.
- numbers in parentheses indicate each author's relative distribution in the chart above (total usage / number of articles).
- author names provide links to overviews of articles by each author discussing 'born digital'
dave thompson (14/4), chris hilton (6/2), lorcan dempsey (3/3), robert kiley (3/1), neil beagrie (3/3), christy henshaw (3/1), john maccoll (2/2), david pearson (2/1), kelly russell (2/1), shirley keane (2/1), charles oppenheim (1/1), jeanna nikolov-ramirez gaviria (1/1), heila pienaar (1/1), derek law (1/1), yola park (1/1), michael day (1/1), lieke ploeger (1/1), andreas strasser (1/1), fedor bochow (1/1), conrad taylor (1/1), frank webster (1/1), martie van deventer (1/1), julia robinson (1/1), helen forde (1/1), sue manuel (1/1), philip pothen (1/1), clemens neudecker (1/1)